28 May, 2009

Know:What is System Volume Information?



If you ever wondered where is your disk space flying away when you don’t seem to have a lot of media files and Gigabytes of music you might want to take a deeper look. First off let me put things into perspective, being a blogger I have to keep trying new softwares and tips and tricks to make sure that you the readers get nothing but the best and validated and working stuff. So today when I wanted to install some stuff I found that I have only 1 GB of disk space left. I quickly opened up C:\ and had a look on what was eating up so much space, there was nothing unusual happening there. Then it struck me that it must be the system restore eating up the space. I mounted the partition in Linux and this is what I found:



You might have to go into folder options and choose Show Hidden Files and Folders to view the folder.

Now I have some Linux ISO’s indicated by "Red", but the main point to notice is that System Volume Information (Green) is consuming a whooping 3.3 GB and this by no means is very much, I have seen System Volume Information consuming 10s of GB depending on the size of the partition. So now what can you do?

Well you can turn of system restore completely but that is not recommended as you might have to roll back to a save point if anything bad happens to you system. The other more wise thing to do would be to decrease the disk space available to System Restore. You can access this as follows Right Click My Computer Icon and choose properties or Choose System from within the Control Panel or do it my way and Just Hit the Windows Key + The Pause/ Break Key (next to scroll lock). This will open up the System Properties Dialog box, from there click on the System Restore Tab and from there click on a drive and you can change the amount of disk space allocated to System Restore. Be warned this will mean having lesser number of restore points to revert back to.

So its one of those catch 22 like situations where you have to find a path that best suites you and is optimum for you. I would suggest to move the slider to allocate anywhere between 0.5GB - 1.0GB. So have a look at your drive and adjust the slider to get some space back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RECEVIE IN MAILBOX

RECEVIE IN MAILBOX

TWEET HERE

TWEET HERE

JOIN ON FACEBOOK

JOIN ON FACEBOOK

BLOG ARCHIVES

Headlines

Join 4Shared Now!
myspace hit counter